Friday, April 26, 2019

#924 UNKNOWN MANUFACTURER - DINOSAUCERS PVC FIGURES (Around 1990)


In a previous entry (#629) I presented this bootleg series, and I already mentioned that there were only two figures/casts available. I also mentioned the figures in "rarer" colours (not yellow/orange). I even put some pictures of the second figure, but that figure was missing its tail.

Now that I own a complete figure, I will do another entry to show it. This figure’s body seems to be based on Bonehead, one of the main characters of the Dinosaucers cartoon, although, the head I would say belongs to Rex, the leader of the Tyrannos. It is difficult to say, because the uniforms that the different characters wear are similar to each other.


Unfortunately, the design is not very good, and the tail does not fit very well. Many second hand figures of this kind come without the tail. This was somewhat different in the figure shown before, in which the tail fits much better, and it is almost always complete.

Note also that this figure has one of the heads I was missing in my collection. It is similar to another one shown before, but this one has an open mouth, so I would say this one is Rex and the one with the open mouth is Bonehead. Now I am only missing one head (Ankylo, the Ankylosaurus) of the 6 available originally. As mentioned in the first entry. Each "body" came in a blister pack with 6 different heads.

Pic: Todocoleccion.net

The second figure shown in this entry is also made out of the same cast, but it is painted in a rare purple colour, and there is another picture on the Internet with green skin. All figures whose skin is not the classic light orange, is rare. Why didn´t the manufacturer use different base colours? In the TV series, the dinosaurs have different skin colours. This way, children may have bought several dinosaurs of each kind to cover more characters.


Interestingly, the base colour of the head is green, and the base colour of the body is brown. They had to use more paint and more time in the process of painting the figure purple than in the more common figures. Maybe the purple figures were a first release, and later they decided to cut down the costs by not producing these anymore?

FACTS and FIGURES:

  • Name: DINOSAUCERS PVC FIGURE
  • Alternate Names: ASTRO-DINOS (German)
  • Year: Around 1990
  • Company: Unknown Manufacturer (China)
  • Size of the figures: Around 10 cm

4 comments:

  1. I have the light brown version still with a tail, I picked it up in a bag of other toys from the 80's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the message! Great figure. I also have this entry (https://toysfromthepast.blogspot.com/2016/01/629-unknown-manufacturer-dinosaucers.html) with the second figure available in this series. Maybe you'd like to read it.

      Delete
  2. I used to have one of these. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Marconi! I didn't have any, but recall that I bought one for a present. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete