The last G1 transformers:
The Micromasters from the end of the 90s were the attempt before the last to revitalize the Transformers line. Hasbro decided to shrink transformers to fit the new fashion of small toys (mostly after the success of MicroMachines). The last attempt, however, were the “Action Masters”, and the line was with them “reinvented”.
Hasbro rescued the most popular characters to be re-released in new forms. The new concept was small, non-transforming, robot figures, that could ride converting vehicles. Some robots were sold with small accessories, other came with huge vehicles. The size of the figures is similar to G.I.Joe: ARAH, and the concept of transforming vehicles recalls a little bit M.A.S.K.
|A promotional image of the "smallest" action Masters|
The first Action Masters were released in 1990, but in 1991 there were a few more figures released, but only in some European countries. These are extremely rare and expensive, although in this particular line most items are cheap and easy to find.
Sprocket with the Attack Cruiser was one of the biggest boxes in this new branch of Transformers. The vehicle is a green car (off-road?) convertible in jet/helicopter.
The figure of the robot is ok, but the vehicles are poorly detailed. Maybe this factor was the key for which the toy-line didn’t succeeded.
The cabin of the car/plane has no details at all, the blue seats have a separation in the middle so one figure stays at one side only. There's no steering wheel, maybe because in Japan it would be placed right, while in most parts of the world it would be placed left... The wings spread and can carry one of the missiles in each end. Most pieces are very big, and the whole toy is built very robustly, mostly if we compare it with older TF robots. Action Masters are clearly designed as toys.
I have more of these, although not all of them are complete. I'll try to show more soon.
The decrease in sales couldn’t be stopped with either Micromasters or Action Masters, what finally led to the end of Transformers in most parts of the world.
SPROCKET with ATTACK CRUISER
- Faction: Autobot
- Subgroup: Action Masters
- Function: Surface Surveillance
- Motto: “Know your enemy and victory is yours!”
- Bio: Sprocket is programmed to take fast, forceful action and no prisoners. This fierce warrior doesn't withdraw from a battlefield until he's covered it with the smoking wreckage of Decepticons. He drives a rebuilt, all-terrain Attack Cruiser which has the standard supply of two photon rifles, metal-immobilizing magnetic rockets, and bumper energy shields. The Attack Cruiser converts into a vector-thrust hovercopter, armed with front-moounted plasma-pulse machine guns.
- Tech Specs for Sprocket:
- Strength: 9
- Intelligence: 7
- Speed: 8
- Endurance: 6
- Rank: 6
- Courage: 9
- Firepower: 9
- Skill: 8
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- Name: ATTACK CRUISER WITH SPROCKET
- Toy Line: Transformers – Action Masters
- Year: 1990
- Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.) / Takara (Japan)
- Size of the figures: Around 11 cms or 3,75’’