|Afrodita, Mazinger y Gelbros J3|
I bought these figures in different flea markets and got to have the collection almost complete, just missing two figures. They were made by Yolanda in the late 80s (maybe even in the 90s), although there were a previous version in painted plastic. The monochromatic versions of Yolanda are far less attractive than the painted ones, so I decided to sell some monochromatic collections I had and focus on the others. I also sold my monochromatic Super Monstruos a few years ago.
|Conde Brocken y Koji Kabuto|
The figures made by Yolanda are 9:
- Mazinger Z: Came in two different versions, from which I only have/had one (walking). The second one had its arms up, in a position that resembles the one that the robot used while flying.
- Afrodita / Afrodite A: Female robot, most remembers for being capable to fire its breasts.
- Koji / Kouji Kabuto: The kid that piloted Mazinger Z from its head. Grandson of the creator of Mazinger Z.
- Dr. Infierno / Dr. Hell: Wants to become the new ruler of the world with an army of mechanical monsters. He is a German research scientist who went mad and killed the rest of the researchers except Dr. Kabuto, who fled to build Mazinger Z.
- Barón Ashler / Baron Ashura: An evil character, right-hand person of Dr. Hell. Half man, half woman.
- Conde Brocken / Count Brocken: Another minion of Dr. Hell, ex-Nazi soldier. Not very bright.
- Two robotic creatures/monsters/enemies called Gelbros J3 and Baras K9. These are for me the most attractive for their design.
|Doctor Infierno y Baron Ashler|
The most interesting part is that the figures are actually promotional. The came in blind bags that were not sold, but could be won when buying some chocolate eggs from the brand “Tombola” (they were similar to Kinder Surprise). The bag looks like this:
|Picture courtesy of El Cuartín de Juguete (elcuartindejuguete.blogspot.com)|
In the front part it is clearly indicated that each figure is available in four colours, each of them with a particular “meaning”, in an attempt to make children try to get all figures in all colours. My objective was to get one of each cast, no matter which colour.
Back to the colour and their meanings…
- Purple: The Power of the Fist
- Green: The power of the “Lasser”
- Blue: The Power of the Hurricane
- Metal: The Power of the Force
By the way... note that the Count Brocken figure shown in the pictures is red... so there are alternative colours.
In the back we can read that this toy has been manufactured by Comansi, although the figures are marked with Comansi’s second brand Yolanda. Otherwise there is no logo of the company printed in the bag.
They are relatively easy to find.
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- Names: MAZINGER Z, AFRODITA, KOJI, DR. INFIERNO, BARON ASHLER, CONDE BROCKEN y GELBROS J3
- Toy Line: Mazinger Z (monochromatic version)
- Year: Around 1989
- Company: Yolanda (Spain)
- Size: Around 11 cm