Thursday, May 22, 2014

#416 G.I. JOE – SCOOP, OJOS DE SERPIENTE (v3) and T.A.R.G.A.T. (1989)


We continue the previous entry with three more Spanish carded figures from G.I.Joe's 8th wave:



SCOOP
Includes: Helmet with Mouthpiece, Pistol, Backpack, Cable and Videocamera

This figure looks pretty boring nowadays, although it was one of the few I bought back in 1992. Don’t know why, this figure was the one I chose among all in the 8th wave. I guess the videocamera was quite cool, since in the early 90s everybody bought one for private use. My family didn’t have one, but I had Scoop. The character’s name is Leonard Michaels (according to the filecard), which is based in TV journalist and reporter Mike Leonard.


OJOS DE SERPIENTE - SNAKE EYES v3
Includes: Sword, Nunchuk (3 parts), Backpack, Machine Gun and a very long Pistol.

As a kid I always preferred to play rather than watch TV, so I rarely saw the TV cartoons. In my mind, Ninjas like Snake Eyes of Storm Shadow didn’t really fit the G.I.Joe or the Cobra teams, so I never had any version of those figures, which I found quite boring. This version was specially boring since it is completely black with some silver details. The blister card was bought many years ago in Madrid, not through the internet.



T.A.R.G.A.T.
Includes: Backpack, Face Shield, Cable, and 2 Pistols.

This is another figure I bought as a kid. For some reason, the previous wave had very few new Cobra members, so when this new wave came out, I got the most bad guys that I could. The flying backpack was definitely something remarkable, and also that nice figure with a blue head.


Something interesting about the blister card from T.A.R.G.A.T., is that the figure was exported to Portugal. To my knowledge, portuguese G.I.Joe figures came either from the United Kingdom or Spain, and there the sticker above (or a similar one) was applied. The importer and distributor of G.I.Joe in Portugal was "Importaçao e Exportaçao de Jogos e Brinquedos Lda." located in Rua Melo e Sousa, Bloco 2, Escritorio 212, Estoril Garden, in the city of Estoril.

FACTS and FIGURES:
  • Name: SCOOP, SNAKE EYES v3 and T.A.R.G.A.T.
  • Toy Line: G.I. Joe (Wave 8)
  • Year: 1989
  • Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.)
  • Size of the figures: 9,5 cm (3 3/4'')

3 comments:

  1. Estas figuras de a partir del 89 no me seducen mucho pero hay excepciones y T.A.R.G.A.T. es una de ellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pues se alegro que digas eso, porque, para mí, G.I. Joe no es tal sin su componente ci-fi loco. Muchos coleccionistas rehuyen de figuras de este tipo porque no son lo suficientemente militares. A mí también me encanta, fue de las primeras que compré cuando salió esta serie en el 92 si no recuerdo mal (en España). ¡Gracias por el comentario!

      Delete
    2. Hola, temo que pertenezco a esa clase de aficionado más conservador al que le gusta la apariencia militar. Por otra parte ese aire futurista, ya sea tipo dispópico Dreadnock o puramente Sci Fi como dices, hace de las figuras Gi Joe algo muy potente. Me quedo pues en el término medio.

      Delete