Monday, January 16, 2017

#766 UNKNOWN MANUFACTURER/ SPEED WHEELS – MITSUBISHI CANTER REFUSE TRUCK and MOBILE CRANE (Around 1995)


MONTH OF THE UNKNOWN

I have a few interesting toys that I have been collecting over the years from which I know nothing at all. They cannot be identified since they have no manufacture marking. Despite searching the internet, I couldn´t find anything about them, so I changed my mind, and thought it may be better if I publish them now, and people reading this could help me identifying them.

There will be 11 toys (all 11 entries from January 2017), but I warn you: it is not an easy task to identify them. Are you ready for this challenge?

If I get hints and information, I´ll be updating the posts to add information about them. Thanks!
If you like the challenge, there are other toys in this blog waiting to be identified, click here to see all unidentified toys.

I first thought this truck may probably be a Tomica knock-off, but I couldn’t find any model that matches this particular cast (both the truck and the “load”).  The truck is actually a Tomica knock-off, more accurately, a knock-off of the No.10 Mitsubishi Canter Refuse Truck (see comments below).
The truck was probably made by the late 90s. I bought it, because I liked very much the detail level of the cast and the opening gate in the refuse container. This indicates a higher quality level than the rest of “made in China” models from those days.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the manufacturer despite correctly identifying the truck as an Isuzu Elf. Ha ha! Not correctly identified. It is a Mitsubishi Canter, not an Isuzu Elf.
A nice Japanese truck from a car and truckmaker that is quite uncommon in the 3 inches world.
Additional information: Bought in a flea market in Austria.

UPDATE (Dec/2018): I think this model might be made by Welly, same as this other Mobile Crane, also a Tomica Knock-off:






UPDATE (MAR/19): The Mobile Crane has been spotted inside a Speed Wheels blister card (series V). Still could be made by Welly, since Speed Wheels seems to be only a budget reseller of die-cast made by other companies.

FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: MITSUBISHI CANTER REFUSE TRUCK and MOBILE CRANE
  • Scale: Around 1:72
  • Year: Around  1995
  • Company: Unknown Manufacturer, maybe Welly? (China) / Speed Wheels (U.S.A.)
  • Size: approx. 7 cm

8 comments:

  1. The little hatch on the back reminded me of one I had in the 1980s.
    I looked it up and it was a Tomica, so maybe your first thought was right.

    Tomica no.10
    1/72
    Mitsubishi Canter
    Japan
    7cm long

    http://imgur.com/Jiirta6


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Atorus,

      Many thanks for the information!

      I was so sure it was an Isuzu Elf, that I did not check other makers like mitsubishi. Many thanks for correctly identifying the model. It is definitely the same cast.

      Now I only need to identify the toy manufacturer.

      I will correct some parts of the text right now.

      Delete
  2. This is probably a copy of the Tomica model. The wheels are different. I have a bunch of car toys from my childhood that has the same wheel and a lot of them are unidentified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yes, you are right, it is Tomica knock-off, Mitsubishi Canter.

      Delete
    2. Hi again. Should I upload some of my childhood car models on here? Maybe people can help Identify them. I could also post them on Wikipedia Commons. I also have bought some unknown brand models from flea markets for my Junkyard build.

      Delete
    3. You cannot publish photos here, but I can help you with the identification of those cars or I can recommend you some resources where you can identify them yourself. An laterals to upload the pictures as you says in Wikipedia commons and then post thee links here. Do you know or can you guess which cars (real cars) each miniature represents?

      Delete
    4. Some, yes. Some trucks I have are Tomica alike but I couldn't find exact model that was copied. I will upload some of them in the commons.

      Delete
    5. Oh, I see. For those you can recognise which car it is, I would recommend the Motorcade (constantly growing!): http://motorcade.weebly.com/

      Once you have the links, let me know.

      Delete