Friday, January 22, 2021

#966 G. I. JOE – COBRA FANG II (1989)

 

This is the second version of the famous F.A.N.G. helicopter that was released in 1986 and profusely appeared in the TV series. For some reason, the evolution of that first helicopter lost the acronym (Fully Armed Negator Gyrocopter) and it is simply called FANG II. Later issues of the FANG were again renamed F.A.N.G.


 

The helicopter is not especially appealing to me, it looks nice, has cool colours, but that feature of helicopter that can be turned into a propeller plane has been seen many times before, an the cockpit is too open and it is difficult to fit a figure in it (no matter how hard you try, the figure does not sit properly in it.

 

Nevertheless it is a vehicle from 1989 series, which is the one (or one of the two) that hit harder in Spain and from which I keep the best memories. I never had this vehicle until recently, but at least one neighbor had it, and I had it in my hands.

I took these pictures last summer and I’d like to share them now with you all, I could have edited them and remove the threads that hold the toy in the air, but I thought it is OK to leave them as they are. I chose S.A.W. Viper as a pilot, although the artwork depicts H.E.A.T. Viper. I guess this choice has to do with the greater colour contrast with the purple/black/red helicopter.



FACTS and FIGURES:

  • Name: FANG II
  • Toy Line: G.I. Joe (Wave 8)
  • Year: 1989
  • Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.)
  • Size: Around 20 cm long

3 comments:

  1. One of the best figures to pair the F.A.N.G II with, is the 1987 Gyro Viper figure from the Cobra MAMBA. Compare the F.A.N.G II with the MAMBA and they have very similar colours - clearly the F.A.N.G II was influenced by the MAMBA design at Hasbro...another figure it really pairs well with is the 1992 (1993 in the UK) Heli Viper figure. Both figures colours really compliment the F.A.N.G II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment! There are GI Joes and cobras in every colour, so it is a matter of personal taste which one to use. At the time of taking the pictures I had only a few of them (as my collection is somewhere else) so I took s.a.w. viper. I may try Heli viper next time, I think it will fit great together. Gyro viper is one of the figures I do not have yet, but I expect to buy it sometime. Thanks again for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Un vehículo que hace tiempo no me decía mucho pero que una vez adquirido me gusta bastante más. Tal vez vaya algo sobrecargado de municiones, yo hubiera prescindido de las dos sobre las alas. Un digno sucesor del FANG I

    ReplyDelete