Sunday, March 13, 2022

#993 STAR TOYS - DAVID EL GNOMO SEVERAL PLASTIC FIGURES (Around 1986)

 
Following the great success of the TV series, Star Toys released a wide variety of characters in PVC, from which I only own 7 of them. I think there are over thirty figures of David, Lisa and other secondary characters, as well as bigger toys, such as the fox Swift, the four trolls and the three Yetis, the swan, the artic fox, an igloo, the gnome house and several sets of furniture for that home.

 

I do not know exactly how many figures are there, as I could not find any collector claiming the ownership of a complete collection. What I can say, is that these few figures shown here are among the most common ones, while several species or families of gnomes, such as Africans, Arabs, Inuits, musicians… are much rarer to spot. Also some specific versions of David and Lisa are very rare to find. Especially nice is a couple of naked figures that came in the bathroom accessory set box. Or one in which Lisa is feeding two baby-gnomes.

The figures were sold in bags with several figures in them, or probably also as single pieces in certain toy shops and bakeries during 1986 (the series started in October 1985), but it was aired several times more in the following years, so it remained popular during a long number of years. And not only in Spain, the series was sold to other countries where it was equally successful, and the PVC figures can also be found in the Netherlands, Germany, Italy… so I guess Star Toys made good business with this license.


I got mine in a flea market in Austria, they did not cost much, so I decided to get them, even though I had none and I was not very interested in them. But now I love them, and I would like to get more if possible. I am checking the internet to see if some more are available at low prices, and I keep discovering nice figures that I would like to have.

For the time being, I am happy with these 7 figures, all of them representing (I think) David or Lisa in different activities. They are all marked BRB at the back. In my case, the figures are all in a great condition, other used toys present paint loss, especially at the tip of the hut, where their small owners used to chew on them.

FACTS and FIGURES:

  • Name: DAVID EL GNOMO (Several figures and characters)
  • Year: Around 1986
  • Company: Star Toys (Spain)
  • Size of the figures: Around 7 cm

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Hugh!
      They are lovely indeed.
      Cheers,
      Juan

      Delete
  2. Hola, aquí te mando un poco más de info de estas figuras.

    https://postimg.cc/gallery/Shkn1LY

    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Juan, muy buena compra, me parecen encantadores, su colorido es espectacular. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pues los he comprado en Austria. Cuando una cosa se hace bien, se vende en todo el mundo. Esas figuras fueron un pelotazo en Holanda, Alemania, Francia... ¡Gracias por el comentario!

      Delete