Sunday, July 14, 2024

#1049 KEES - FIAT PANDA and TY-PHOO JUBILEE TRAM (Around 1985)


Kees is a brand that Steven (from the Motorcade) showed me a couple of years ago, and I have this model thanks to him. He showed me this model in a picture, and was immediately interested, because I thought it was a Fiat Uno from the first generation. Unfortunately, after looking at it from all angles, I think it is most probably a Fiat Panda. The cast is not very good, as you can imagine from my previous comment.

The die-cast model has a plastic base, no interior, a relatively bad paintwork and paper stickers. It is a rather typical novelty toy of the early 90s. And among these, we could consider it a "good" one.

If this is so, its current value can only be explained by their scarcity. On top of that, the car is not marked anyway, so most of these go undetected in the Internet markets, and those who can be identified, are quite pricey. I don't think I will ever have more of these, I won´t pay so much money for such a model and having one piece is enough for me.

Another thing to comment, it that Kees seems to base many of their die-cast on Polistil models from those years, but I guess there is no connection between them.

I have here this nice advertising page presenting the main products that the company was offering in 1985, as well as other useful information for potential clients.


And because we have this advertisement sheet, we know that the following item is also made by Kees. It is a London Tram with Ty-Phoo Tea decals. Ty-Phoo is a British brand of tea, still on the market. I am not quite sure if this jubilee applies to the tea company, to the first service of the tram reproduced (in the back it says it started in 1885, but in the front it says 1905 (so, is it an 80 or 100 years jubilee?) In any case, it is a very nice model, specially in its cardboard packaging. I had to fix it a bit, but it looks nice now for display.

I tend to think it is a promotional item, as Kees is not mentioned in the packaging, and Ty-Phoo logo appears in quite a big size in the package. Antoher clue could be that there are many for sale on eBay and at very low prices, so most likely it was a giveaway from that brand of tea.








FACTS AND FIGURES:

  • Name: FIAT PANDA and TY-PHOO TEA JUBILEE TRAM
  • Scale: Around 1:64 / Around 1:120
  • Year: Around 1985
  • Company: Kees (Hong-Kong)
  • Size: approx. 7 cm

2 comments:

  1. This model is the same casting as the Lesney Models of Yesterday tram from ther 1950's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I'm not familiar with the models of yesteryear, I'll check the exact model, name, year and so on, and I'll update the text. Thanks also for the comment!

      Delete